Musicals will always, without a doubt be my ultimate ‘feel good’ films, as cheesy as it sounds!
Ranked here are my favourite musicals!
10. West Side Story (1961) – Shakespeare would have loved it! It is a fine musical. Though it may be not the best film ever, it is definitely a film I have enjoyed.
9. Hairspray (2007) – A great family film with a strong message. The music is infectious, and the energy is just amazing.
8. Grease (1978) – At the end of the day, it is hard to find a so delicate film as Grease since it tells a whole story mostly through songs and expressions, in the catchiest possible way.
7. Annie (1982) – Not a masterpiece, but it brings good songs and lots of memories back.
6. Chitty Chitty Bang Bang (1968) – Having grown up with this film, it will always be one of my favourites. Dick Van Dyke is a truly great performer; an all-rounder! Grab the film and enough popcorn for the duration and see it with your loved ones.
5. The Wizard of Oz (1939) – A lovely film which can be enjoyed by anyone regardless of age or film preferences. It is a timeless classic and one which I would recommend to anyone!
4. Mary Poppins (1964) – I simply adore Julie Andrews! One of the best achievements in Walt Disney’s illustrious career, every aspect of this musical is a winner. Also a tremendous amount of fun!
3. Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street (2007) – I should mention that this film is not for everyone. If blood makes you queasy and your eyes tend to roll when characters sing, this is not the film for you. However, I thought it was a masterpiece of a film that should not be missed. In fact, I’m currently setting up the DVD on my Television as I am quite shocked at myself having not seen it in two whole years!
2. Sound of Music (1965) – Who hasn’t heard of the Sound of Music? A true gem!
1. Oliver (1968) – Not only my favourite musical of all time, it is quite simply one of my favourite films of all time.
Do you agree with my order? Tell me what your favourite musical films are by commenting below!